GUWAHATI: The first session of the 15th Assam legislative assembly has started today and it has discussed several important decisions as well as appointed Debojit Saikia as the new Advocate General of Assam.
Assam chief secretary Jishnu Baruah administered the oath of office to the 125 newly elected MLAs in the presence of speaker Phani Bhushan Choudhury.
The decisions to avert the oxygen crisis in Assam taken by the Cabinet were as followed —
1. If any new Oxygen plant is set up, State Govt would provide a 100% free power supply.
2. For reviving closed Oxygen plants, 100% free power would be provided.
3. In case of expansion of the existing plant, the new unit would be given free power.
4. All existing Oxygen plants would be given 20% free power.
5. All these decisions would come into effect from January 1, 2021, but financial implications would be from April 1, 2021.
Apart from that, other a few important decisions were also taken.
1. CEM BTR, CEM Karbi Anglong & CEM Dima Hasao will be accorded Cabinet Status.
2. The nomenclature of the I/C minister would be changed to the Guardian Minister who would take responsibility for their respective districts.
As well as the decision of making Debojit Saikia the new advocate general.
Debojit Saikia was a Ranji trophy player and administrator. He had made headlines in the year 2020 when he said, during a T20 match between India and Sri Lanka which was held in Guwahati and interrupted due to rain, the stadium audience switched on phone flashlight to dry damp pitch.
Saikia was Assam Cricket Association secretary then.
Support our brand of fearless and investigative journalism: