UDALGURI: The former National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) members of Udalguri district today said that they will call for an ‘indefinite bandh’ if the Assam government does not release NDFB chief Ranjan Daimary at the earliest.
Ranjan Daimary who is also one of the signatories of the BTR agreement was sentenced to life in prison last year January 30 for serial bomb blasts in Assam in 2008.
Alongside Daimary, a special court convicted the other accused in the same case.
The former NDFB members today staged a protest in the Udalguri district demanding the release of Ranjan Daimary before Independence day,2021.
“The government would face strong opposition if it does not meet our demand,” said protesters.
They also urged BTR chief Promod Boro and Deputy Chief Govinda Basumatary to stop playing politics against them and to release Daimary alongside the NDFB members who are imprisoned.
The government has also been accused of secretly taken out Daimary from the Guwahati Central Jail on July 22 and keeping him in house confinement at the 10th ABPN camp in Kahilipara, Guwahati.”
Even Daimary’s family is unaware of that fact, said a protester.
One member told the media, “If the government remains silent and does not meet our demand by August 15, we will be forced to declare an indefinite bandh in the BTR region.”
Ranjan Daimary, amongst those other accused, was the ring leader behind the October 30, 2008, serial bomb blasts that claimed more than 100 lives and injured over 400 people.
The bomb blasts occurred in Guwahati, Bongaigaon, Kokrajhar, and Barpeta Road.
Daimary and the other accused have now filed an appeal against the conviction order in the Gauhati High Court, as well as an application for bail.