New Delhi, October 4, 2019:
Indian Air Force’s (IAF) newly appointed Chief Rakesh Kumar Bhadauria has admitted that the Mi-17 helicopter crash on February 27 was a ‘big mistake’ on part of the Air Force that led to the death of six personnel.
Air Chief Marshal Bhadauria, while addressing a press conference, said that the Court of inquiry was completed last week and it was a mistake on the IAF’s part as its missile had hit its own chopper.
He also mentioned that action will be taken against two officers for misconduct.
It may be mentioned here that on February 27 of this year, IAF lost its six personnel when their chopper was hit by its own SPYDER air defence missile over Budgam.
Bhadauria also said, “Rafale and S-400 Air Defence missile system will further bolster the capability of the Indian Air Force.”
Reportedly, as per earlier IAF’s Court of Inquiry report, five officers were found guilty for the crash of a helicopter over Srinagar.
This was a day after IAF jets conducted Surgical Strike 2 in Pakistan’s Balakot and destroyed Jaish-e-Mohammed terror camps.
The Mi-17 helicopter was shot down by an Indian missile when Indian air defenses were on high alert following the February 26 Balakot airstrike.
Support Inside Northeast, an independent media platform that focuses on Citizen-centric stories from Northeast India that are surprising, inspiring, cinematic and emotionally relevant.
Readers like you make Inside Northeast’s work possible.
To support our brand of fearless investigative journalism, support us HERE.
The Inside Northeast app HERE for News, Views, and Reviews from Northeast India.
Do keep following us for news on-the-go. We deliver the Northeast.