AIZAWL: The Mizoram government has announced a eight-day lockdown in the state from May 3 to May 11 in view of the unabated rise in COVID-19 positive cases.
Mizoram chief secretary Lalnunmawia Chuaungo, who is also the chairman of the state executive committee of State Disaster Management Authority, Mizoram, in an order yesterday, said the decision to impose the lockdown was taken “in view of the continued surge of COVID-19 positive cases and the significant number of active cases in Mizoram”.
Chuaungo said the measure was aimed at restricting movement and activities of the people.
However, the essential services would remain exempted from the lockdown.
The State Disaster Management Authority, Mizoram has decided to “impose stricter measures, in the form of lockdown, for curtailing people’s movement and activities, except essential services, to flatten the curve of the disease transmission and for efficient testing, tracking and treatment of COVID-19 positive patients and to scale up immunization,” the order read.
“Therefore, the undersigned, in his capacity as Chairman, State Executive Committee, and in exercise of the powers conferred under Section 22(2)(h) as 24(1) of the Disaster Management Act, 2005 hereby orders that the guidelines appended hereto shall be strictly implemented from 4:00 am of May 3, 2021 till 4:00 am of May 11, 2021,” the Chuaungo said in the order.
Mizoram’s total positive cases stood at 6,132 yesterday, including 1,134 active cases.
A total of 57 people recovered from the disease yesterday. Altogether 4983 people have recovered from the disease in Mizoram. Mizoram’s recovery rate stands at 81.26 per cent.
A total of 15 people have lost their lives due to COVID-19 infection in the state so far.