Sushant Singh Rajput Case: Centre accepts request for CBI investigation, SC says ‘truth should unravel’
Just a day after CM of Bihar Nitish Kumar recommended a CBI inquiry into the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput, the Centre has finally accepted the CBI probe into death case of actor. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta stated the same before the Supreme Court.
Currently the plea of actress Rhea Chakraborty seeking transfer of an FIR from Patna to Mumbai is being heard by a bench headed by Justice Hrisheksh Roy.
After the Centre’s decision to accept a CBI probe into the case, Rhea’s plea does not hold ground, the Solicitor General informed the SC. Meanwhile, Vikas Singh, the lawyer representing Sushant Singh Rajput ‘s father, claimed that the Maharashtra Police are destroying evidence in the case.
The SC said that Sushant’s death took place in “unusual” circumstances and “the truth should unravel.”
“A gifted and talented artist has passed away in circumstances which are unusual. This was very unfortunate. Now, the circumstances in which this death took place needs to be inquired into,” SC further added.
The bench also mentioned quarantining of a Bihar Police officer has not sent a good message to the public fighting for the justice of the late actor “despite the fact that the Mumbai Police has a good professional reputation”.
The Supreme court has now directed the Mumbai Police to file a status report in the investigation conducted so far in the SSR death case. It has further asked Maharashtra, Bihar and Sushant Singh Rajput’s father to file replies on Rhea’s plea seeking transfer of the case from Patna to Mumbai.
A few days back Rhea Chakraborty requested the Union Home Minister Amit Shah for a CBI probe into the matter, but as on Tuesday the actress opposed the move through her lawyer Satish Maneshinde by saying that the decision has “no legal sanctity”.
Sushant Singh Rajput’s father KK Singh had registered an FIR against six people on July, including Rhea Chakraborty, accusing them of abetting his son’s suicide.
The Dil Bechara actor was found dead at his Bandra residence in Mumbai on June 14, which left the entire nation shocked.
Readers like you make Inside Northeast’s work possible.
To support our brand of fearless and investigative journalism, support us HERE.
The Inside Northeast app HERE for News, Views, and Reviews from Northeast India.
Do keep following us for news on-the-go. We deliver the Northeast.