India sees massive single-day spike with over 6000 new COVID-19 cases. 10 points
India recorded the massive single-day spike in the number of COVID-19 cases with 6,654 new patients in the last 24 hours taking the total to 1,25,101 cases, the Union Health Ministry said today.
The COVID-19 has claimed a total of 3,720 lives so far; of which 137 patients died in the last 24 hours. A total of 51,784 patients have been cured or discharged so far in the country. Nearly 25,000 cases have been reported in the last four days, government data show after restrictions were eased in most parts of the country as the fourth phase of the lockdown began. Globally, India is 13th on the list of affected countries.
Here are 10 points:
- Maharashtra registered the highest number of cases in the last 24 hours with 2,940 new patients, followed by 784 cases in Tamil Nadu.
- Maharashtra registered 44,582 confirmed COVID-19 cases followed by 14,753 confirmed cases in Tamil Nadu and 13,268 cases in Gujarat
- Maharashtra is the first state to cross 1000-mark in terms of COVID-19 related deaths. The state registered 1517 deaths followed by 802 deaths in Gujarat and 272 deaths in Madhya Pradesh
- In Northeast India, the novel coronavirus has infected 259 people and claimed four lives in Assam so far. The state witnessed a massive spike on May 22, 2020. A total of 49 confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported in Assam.
- Meanwhile, Tripura in the region has the second-highest case. It has registered 175 positive coronavirus cases followed by 26 in Manipur and 14 in Meghalaya. Manipur Government sought Rs 100 crore financial assistance from the Centre to fight against the spread of the coronavirus. On the other hand, Sikkim has retained its corona-free status.
- Over the last two months, India has increased its testing capacity from 1000 per day to 1 lakh per day this month
- After enforcing the fourth phase of the nationwide lockdown on May 18 with considerable relaxation, the Indian Railways announced to run 200 new trains in addition to the existing Shramik Special Trains from June 1.
- The virus has infected over 53 lakh across the globe so far while nearly 3.5 lakh died due to the infection.
- United States of America has reported the highest number of positive COVID-19 cases followed by Brazil, which overtook Russia. USA has 1,645,094 cases while 3,32,382 in Brazil and 3,26,448 in Russia.
- China did not register any positive coronavirus case on May 22, 2020. In December last year, the coronavirus had originated in China’s Wuhan city.
India is currently under the fourth phase of the nationwide lockdown to mitigate the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The first phase of the lockdown was enforced on March 25 initially for 21 days which was later extended.
Readers like you make Inside Northeast’s work possible.
To support our brand of fearless and investigative journalism, support us HERE.
The Inside Northeast app HERE for News, Views, and Reviews from Northeast India.
Do keep following us for news on-the-go. We deliver the Northeast.